Many aspiring songwriters wonder why their songs aren’t having the impact they desire. Is this you? After all, you’ve felt the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to write down your thoughts, feelings, and passionate worship for God. Maybe you’ve felt driven to share a part of your story that is difficult, but you feel the need to help others through what you’ve been through, so you’re risking the vulnerability to put it in a song. But… *cricket cricket*… no one seems to care.
The truth is that there are thousands of Christian writers wanting to write about their passion for God and share their stories. How do you manage to stand out above the noise and have anyone pay attention? Here’s another truth: The effectiveness and impact of your song is directly tied to the quality of your original idea, no matter what the subject matter, and the hook/title that becomes your “North Star” that guides you through the process of actually crafting the song from beginning to end.
In this final in a four-part series, learn how to power up your songs immediately by increasing the quality of your ideas and following your “North Star hook” as John shares:
- Understanding the difference between the “essence” of an idea and an actual hook
- Why spending more time on your ideas pays rich dividends
- The importance of identifying the best hook to run with (the “North Star hook” concept)
- Examples of great North Star hooks others have crafted into hit songs
- Finding great ideas for songs and hooks
- Exactly how to let the North Star hook guide you through the process of writing the song
- The power of Word Clusters and how to use them
Use the principles in this episode to craft your own North Star hooks and sail safely into port with your next powerhouse song.
Be sure to join NCS MEMBERSHIP today at www.nashvillechristiansongwriters.com for the finest songwriter resources, coaching, inspiration and information!